After my resolution post, my two besties gave me some awesome ideas. Its really amazing to have friends that will inspire you and challenge you. And they are really good looking too.
Anyway, Michelle gave me the idea to start incorporating some simple DIY projects (that's do-it-yourself, if you're not up on the lingo), and that's what I'm going to (try to) do every Friday.
Here's a super duper simple DIY project involving no sewing machine skills at all - so no excuses!
1. Get your supplies together:
- elastic (mine is about 3/4" wide)
- some pretty ribbon trim
- a pair of scissors
- a needle & thread
- *measuring tape is helpful too, but not necessary
2. Measure on your head how long you'd like the ribbon to be. (Basically from behind-right-ear to behind-left-ear - the rest will be elastic!)
3. Add 1/2" to this measurement and cut your pretty ribbon to that.
4. Fold over 1/4" and press down. (I gave it a quick iron for a crisp fold.)
5. Cut a piece of elastic that is just slightly smaller that the rest of that head measurement of yours. You want it to stretch a bit when you put on the headband so that it stays in place. Sew the end of the elastic to the wrong side of the ribbon. Fold over the corners so that it forms a little wrap over the elastic. Sew securely in place. Repeat on the other end.
6. Enjoy your sick headband and show it off to all of your friends. Then, go make them some matching headbands to say sorry for being such a show-off.
(awesome photography by Chris, which is why I'm making silly faces)